Frequently Asked Questions
Allow contacts to join your list using SMS text messages
Set up Text-To-Join
Text-to-Join is a great way for you to collect email addresses from contacts through a text message. Just choose a keyword for subscribers to enter and cell phones can use this channel to submit email addresses, just like in any other sign-up method.
Text-to-Join is not included in the free trial period of any product.
- US Subscribers Only - For the time being, Text-to-Join isn't available internationally.
- Opting-In For Emails Only, Not Text - When a subscriber uses a text to join your list, they are opting in to receive future emails, not future text messages.
- Choose Keywords Wisely - Keywords can only be changed once every 60 days.
- Carrier Limits - Text-to-Join is currently only supported by the United States phone carriers AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, T-Mobile, Alltel, Boost, and Nextel. The Google Voice app will not work with Text-to-Join, even if it is on a supported carrier phone.
- Website Promotion - If you plan to include messaging on your web site for Text-to-Join, make sure to include the following disclaimer text. If it is not included, your keyword may be disabled by the cellular carriers:
Message and Data Rates may apply. Text HELP for help, text STOP to end. Privacy: http://www.constantcontact.com/privacy_guarantee.jsp
- After logging into Constant Contact, click Contacts > Sign-Up Tools.
- Click "Text to sign-up" under More Tools.
- Click the "Enable Text-To-Join" check-box.
- In the Choose Your Keyword box, type out a keyword that you want to use.
- Keywords must be all one word, contain only letters and numbers only, no spaces. Keywords are not case sensitive.
- Each account is allowed one keyword at a time. This means that only one text-to-join message can be active at a time.
- If the word is available, a confirmation message will display under the box.
- (Optional) Edit your request message. This is the verbiage that a contact receives when they text your keyword and we reply with a request for the contact's email address. Be sure to ask for the contact to reply with their email address.
- Your message can have up to 160 characters.
- If someone replies with an invalid email address, they will be prompted to try again.
- Choose a list that you want the contacts to be added to. You may want to create a new list so you can email them for more information like first name, last name, etc. Another option is to include an update profile link in your welcome letter.
- The list must already be created and the contacts will not see the name of the list.
- You can only choose one list.
- Contacts that sign up using the keyword will receive your default welcome letter.
- At this time Constant Contact can only collect email address when a contact joins but hopes to allow to gather more information in the future.
- (Optional) Edit the Thank-You message that the contacts will receive once they have replied with their properly spelled email address.
- Click Complete Setup.
Once you have created a keyword, just click "Create My Sign" to create a promotional sign highlighting the option for potential subscribers. To disable Text-to-Join just check "Text-to-Join is turned on/off".
Keep in mind that if a subscriber is already an existing customer, they'll see all the Text-to-Join messaging, but won't get another welcome letter.