Frequently Asked Questions
Whether you’re test driving our products, getting started with your marketing efforts or taking them to the next level, we've got the answers to your questions.
How do I set up Text-to-Join feature in my account?
Set up Text-To-Join
Text-to-Join is a great way for you to collect email addresses from contacts through a text message. Just choose a keyword for subscribers to enter and cell phones can use this channel to submit email addresses, just like in any other sign-up method.
There are a few things to be aware of before you start using Text-to-Join:
- US Subscribers Only - For the time being, Text-to-Join isn't available internationally.
- Opting-In For Emails Only, Not Text - When a subscriber uses a text to join your list, they are opting in to receive future emails, not future text messages.
- Choose Keywords Wisely - Keywords can only be changed once every 60 days.
- Carrier Limits - Text-to-Join is currently only supported by the United States phone carriers AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, T-Mobile, Alltel, Boost, and Nextel. The Google Voice app will not work with Text-to-Join, even if it is on a supported carrier phone.
Website Promotion - If you plan to include messaging on your web site for Text-to-Join, make sure to include the following disclaimer text. If it is not included, your keyword may be disabled by the cellular carriers:
Message and Data Rates may apply. Text HELP for help, text STOP to end. Privacy: http://www.constantcontact.com/privacy_guarantee.jsp
You can set up Text-to-Join and start using it within minutes. Here's how:
- After logging into Constant Contact, click Contacts > Sign-Up Tools.
- Click "Text to sign-up" under More Tools.
- Click the "Enable Text-To-Join" check-box.
In the Choose Your Keyword box, type out a keyword that you want to use.
- Keywords must be all one word, contain only letters and numbers only, no spaces. Keywords are not case sensitive.
- Each account is allowed one keyword at a time. This means that only one text-to-join message can be active at a time.
- If the word is available, a confirmation message will display under the box.
(Optional) Edit your request message. This is the verbiage that a contact receives when they text your keyword and we reply with a request for the contact's email address. Be sure to ask for the contact to reply with their email address.
- Your message can have up to 160 characters.
- If someone replies with an invalid email address, they will be prompted to try again.
Choose a list that you want the contacts to be added to. You may want to create a new list so you can email them for more information like first name, last name, etc. Another option is to include an update profile link in your welcome letter.
- The list must already be created and the contacts will not see the name of the list.
- You can only choose one list.
- Contacts that sign up using the keyword will receive your default welcome letter.
- At this time Constant Contact can only collect email address when a contact joins but hopes to allow to gather more information in the future.
- (Optional) Edit the Thank-You message that the contacts will receive once they have replied with their properly spelled email address.
- Click Complete Setup.
Once you have created a keyword, just click "Create My Sign" to create a promotional sign highlighting the option for potential subscribers. To disable Text-to-Join just check "Text-to-Join is turned on/off".
Keep in mind that if a subscriber is already an existing customer, they'll see all the Text-to-Join messaging, but won't get another welcome letter.
Back to Top