Frequently Asked Questions
Whether you’re test driving our products, getting started with your marketing efforts or taking them to the next level, we've got the answers to your questions.
How do I make it look like a YouTube, Vimeo, PointAcross, or Blip.TV video is embedded in my email?
Insert a video into an email
Embedding a video directly into your email, event-related email, or survey invitation can increase the chances that your email becomes undeliverable because some email client's can't play videos and some Internet Service Providers (ISP's) block video attachments because they are commonly used to spread viruses.
Instead of embedding the video, you can insert a clickable image link to your video on a trusted site so your contacts can open the video in a separate window for viewing.
Note: As an alternative to an embedded image, you can also insert a branded YouTube button into your email that links to your video.
When you insert a link for a video to your email, you have the option of also adding a thumbnail image of the video that includes a video player icon.
To insert a video image and link into your email, event-related email, or survey invitation:
- Copy the URL for the video you want to add to your email.
- Place your cursor over the block where you want to add the video.
- Click its Edit this block icon in the upper right-hand corner of the block.
- Place your cursor where you want to insert the video image.
On the left-hand side, click the Insert button.
Place your cursor over the Video Link icon and click the Plus button.
- In the Video URL field, add the URL for your YouTube, Vimeo, BlipTV, or PointAcross video.
Click Create Image.
Note: The video image is automatically generated from the link and does not count as an image within your Image Library.
To adjust the size of the thumbnail, drag the slider in the bar above the image.
- (Optional) To change the title that displays beneath the thumbnail, edit the Title field.
- Click Insert.
- Click Save to continue editing your email.
Once you've added your video, it's a good idea to send yourself a test to make sure that it works properly.
This feature works only with videos on YouTube, Vimeo, Blip.TV, or PointAcross. For other video types, you can always manually make a screenshot of your video and insert the image as a clickable link.
The Insert Video Link feature does not work with videos that have:
- Shortened URLs - You cannot alter the video URL with any link shortener, not even with YouTube's own URL shortener - youtu.be.
- Private Settings - If you've made your video private or it requires a password or sharing permissions, you'll have to either make it public or manually insert the video by taking a screenshot and making it a clickable link.
- Links to Your YouTube Profile - Your YouTube profile page URL starts like this, "http://www.youtube.com/user/...". To get the correct YouTube link, click the title for the video as it appears on the profile page. The page will relaunch to play the video - this URL is the one to copy.
- Links that Include Your Vimeo Username - If your Vimeo URL starts like this, "http://vimeo.com/user...", click the Share icon on the video or search for the video title in Vimeo to get the public link.
- Copyrighted Material not Viewable in the U.S. - Copyright holders are able to bar IP addresses from certain countries from playing their videos. If you include a YouTube video that doesn't allow playback in the U.S., the player will be black with the following message, "This video contains content from [copyright holder], who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
Any links we provide from non-Constant Contact sites or information about non-Constant Contact products or services are provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as an endorsement by Constant Contact.