How do I paste and crop an image in Microsoft(MS) Paint?
Cut, crop, and save an image using Microsoft Paint
Microsoft Paint is a free image editing program that comes with the Windows operating system. It allows you to copy an image by essentially cutting it out of its original source, cropping it, then saving it to your computer.
To open the Paint program, click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint.
First, copy the image that you want to use so that you can then paste it into Paint to be cropped and saved. There are two ways to do this, depending on the program or browser you are using:
- On your keyboard, press Alt-Print Screen at the same time. You will not see anything happen, but you now have a picture of your screen copied to your clipboard.
- Right-click on an image and select Copy or Copy Image.
Then, in Paint:
- Click Paste. Your image appears in the workspace.
- Save your image to your computer as a JPEG or PNG.
Once the image is in Paint, click the Select icon.
Click to view larger image
Highlight the area you wish to crop by clicking and dragging with the cursor. Everything inside the dotted lines is your new image.
- In the toolbar click Copy. The image is now on your Clipboard.
- In the toolbar click New.
- In the new file, click Paste. Your newly cropped image displays.
- Click Save to save your new image.
- Click on the image you want to replace.
- Click on the gear icon.
- Select Change.
- Above the Insert button you'll see the Dimensions of the sample image. This is the size your new image should be. Write this down, you'll need them for the next step.
- With your image open in Paint, click Resize on the tool bar.
- Click on the Pixels radio button to display the image size in pixels.
Adjust the size of your image as needed.
Note: If you leave the Maintain aspect ratio box checked, the vertical size will adjust automatically when you adjust the horizontal size, to keep the image in proportion.
- Click Save - we suggest renaming this version so you don't save over your original.
Once you've saved your final copy, you can add the image to your email.